dabbled with superheroes before, with your Hulk Annual story, and
pieces in the DC Bizarro collections. You
seem to keep coming back to the guys in capes. Why is that?
As a kid, superheroes
scared the hell out of me. The angry faces and grimacing, the displays
of terrible power...it was all just totally overwhelming. I didn't
like it, but it made a big impression. This was when I was pretty
little. Now that I realize that the world itself is
full of angry faces and grimacing and terrible displays of power,
it seems like a good metaphorical vehicle.
about the Super-F*ckers: Who are they, what do they do, and do
their parents approve of their team name?
is not the name of the superhero team. It's actually just the name
of the comic book. The superhero team remains unnamed in the book
it's a bunch of 19-year-old superheroes living in a big clubhouse
together, playing video games, trying to think up new ways to get
high, holding tryouts to recruit new members, teasing each other,
trying to spy on each other naked, worrying about who's gay and who's
not, and converting to Christianity.
to ask, why did you pick Super F*ckers for a title?
I really tried
to make this book "all ages" but the characters absolutely
would not comply. For one thing, all the characters started to swear
like crazy, really foul and funny swears.
I notice the cover of the first Super-F*ckers
seems to be a blend of art and photography, and I remember you told
me some time ago that you were using a 16-panel grid for this one.
What can you tell me about the artistic approach are you taking to
There are little
back-up stories in the book which combine drawing and photography,
and I use that on the covers, but the main story is colored line work,
with flat areas of color, like the way I did Fancy Froglin.
Also, since I'm using a 16-panel grid instead of my normal 4-panel
grid it's really the equivalent of a graphic novel. The book is packed
tight...the 16-panel grid was really necessary to accommodate what
I was going for with the large cast of characters with intertwining
The deadline for entering the contest has passed, and no new entries will be accepted. Winners will be announced soon!
Everybody loves a foul-mouthed teenage superhero, and James Kochalka's Super-F*ckers is packed with 'em! To celebrate the release of the first issue, Top Shelf Productions, creator James Kochalka and Comic Book Galaxy are bringing you the Super-F*cking Contest!
One Grand Prize Winner will take home the following:
A one-of-a-kind original painting of Jack Krak, the main character in Super-F*ckers, created especially for this contest by James Kochalka!
An American Elf Hardcover! This deluxe, limited edition contains five years of James Kochalka's daily diary comic strips and tons of DVD-style extras, a $50.00 value.
A copy of Super-F*ckers #1
The Comics Journal #222, featuring a cover by and interview with James Kochalka.
Nine Runners-Up will each receive a copy of Super-F*ckers #1.
Here's How You Can Win!
1. Send an E-MAIL to Comic Book Galaxy with your name, address, and telephone number. In the SUBJECT LINE of your e-mail, put the words SUPER-F*CKING CONTEST ENTRY.
2. E-mails must be received by 11:59 PM on Saturday, April 30th, 2005. Winners will be chosen in a random drawing in early May.
3. Employees of Top Shelf Productions, contributors to Comic Book Galaxy or other comic book-related websites and their family members are ineligible to enter.
4. One Entry per person and/or e-mail address, please.
5. All entries become the property of Top Shelf Productions and Comic Book Galaxy.
6. By entering, participants release Comic Book Galaxy, Top Shelf Productions, their subsidiaries, affiliates and agents and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents from any and all liability for any injuries, losses, or damages of any kind caused by any prize or resulting from acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize. Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges.
7. Comic Book Galaxy reserves the right to reject any entry, for any reason.
8. Good luck, from Top Shelf Productions, James Kochalka, and everyone at Comic Book Galaxy! E-mail your entry today!
Super-F*ckers Copyright (C) 2005 James Kochalka. Published by Top Shelf Productions.
Click here to learn how you can support Comic Book Galaxy.